Mad Men is back! I can’t wait for the 2 hour season premier on Sunday at 9pm. It has been far too long.
So, I know it’s super cheesy, but I had to do it – I Mad Men’ed myself and the hubby at the AMC site for the show – MadMenYourself.
There I am with perfectly coiffed hair meeting Don for a cocktail. And that’s my husband attending a meeting with the Sterling Cooper crew (drink in hand, of course).
Man, I wish the office place still looked this stylish. I’m really sick of seeing men in blue check Brooks Brothers shirts and khaki-colored slacks.
So there are many, many appealing things about this show, but I think the magic is that it appeals to men and women for 2 reasons:
- The character of Don Draper– men want to be him and women want to be with him. He’s so mysterious and bad, but sympathetic and vulnerable at the same time.
- The cocktail – It makes an appearance in nearly every scene. It’s almost impossible to watch the show without enjoying a cocktail of your own. That’s why I have decided to share our family cocktail.
Surely we are not the only family with an official cocktail, right? It is our personal twist on the Manhattan. It is best enjoyed among the company of good friends and family.
I like my cocktails like my men – I only need one strong one and it better be stiff ….
The Master Builder
2 shots Maker’s Mark bourbon
splash of red vermouth (about 1/2 shot)
dash of bitters
1 maraschino cherry
1. Mix bourbon and vermouth in a stylish glass
2. Add a dash of bitters and stir
3. Add ice
4. Top with cherry and a bit of juice if you like
5. Enjoy in style!